Sunday, May 7, 2017

The Tribeca wrap post including our best of and worst of lists

The light projection on the sidewalk outside the Cineopolis on 23rd Street
Tribeca finished a week ago but its ripples are still being felt. As any regular readers have seen we’ve been reviewing films for the last week simply because we saw so much that required long reviews. Additionally various films that were screened there are hitting theaters (THE DINNER hit Friday).

I’ve attended the festival for the last 8 years, 7 of which were as a member of the press. In years past the films were very scattershot with as many really bad films as really good ones. This year there were very few films I disliked. Even the ones I wasn’t crazy about seemed to have a reason as to why they were at the festival. From a programing stand point this was the best of the 8 years I have attended. While the film festival has always been one of my favorites and must attends this year it just out did itself.

In trying to pull thoughts together about the fest I find that I have little to say. Any problems I have concern more things on the press end than the public face of the festival- though the location of the HUB, BMCC and the Regal screenings away from the main locations in Chelsea still make getting to some locations a tough slog. But that's a minor complaint when the films were this good.

This was a truly great year.

I want to thank everyone at the festival for being great. From the volunteers to the administration, PR and programmers I can’t thank you enough.

Thank you to everyone in the press corps for contributing many weeks of great conversation.

Thank you to Joe Bendel for throwing additional coverage, for the good company and being my Lucky Burger wingman.

Thank you to Chocko for coming through in a few surprising ways.

And a big, HUGE thank you to Ariela who has turned out some great reviews, kicked me in the ass when I needed it and even let me steal popcorn from her. You thanked me for letting you come along- and I thank you for being crazy enough to come along.

If you want to know what Ariela and myself thought were at the extremes of the festival I’m presenting our best and worst lists.

My best list are the films I never hesitated putting on the list. The almosts are the ones that had a moments hesitation.

Best
THE DEPARTURE
LA 92
THE FAMILY I HAD
BOMBSHELL HEDY LAMAR
SHIVA
DEAR BASKETBALL

The Clive Davis Concert
Burt Reynolds in DOG YEARS
The gotcha shot in MA
the cinematography in NOVEMBER


Almost
THE GRAY STATE
KING OF PEKING
DIVINE ORDER
MANIFESTO
GILBERT
WEDDING PLAN

Worst
2/3 of AWAKE
1% MORE HUMID
NOBODY'S WATCHING
FLAMES
TILT

Ariela's lists

Best films:
Ice Mother
The Last Animals
True Conviction
The Wedding Plan
Dabka
Take Me

Worst films:
The Dinner
Nobody 's Watching
Aardvark

Ariela adds: "I'm bummed I missed quite a few good ones.. but what can you do. Hopefully they'll be available at some point or another"

No comments:

Post a Comment