Monday, December 1, 2014

I'm Not a Rock Star (2012)

Portrait of Marika Bournaki from age 12 to 20 as she navigates being a piano prodigy, school and family complications.

I have been hearing good about this film for a while now and when I was given the chance to see it, in the middle of this years DOC NYC, I jumped at the chance. I knew that the last thing I needed was to see another film that I would have to review, but I really wanted to see it so I hunkered down and made some time.

I really like this film a great deal. I've seen a bunch of music docs recently and while they were good, this one is better. Its a terible thing to say but watching this film, getting swept up into Marika's life and music I found that I kept comparing this film to other films which I liked, but not as much as this one. Its a terrible thing to say but in seeing this film I realized why some of the other films didn't work.

That the film works as well as it does is entirely due to Marika. Not only is she a kick ass piano master, but she also a compelling a personality. One can't help but fall in love with her. We are drawn into the film because we like her.

I have no idea what to say other than This is a super film. Yea I know the PR people who set me up with a copy of the film for review are pulling out their hair with my lack of deep discussion,but youknow there are just times when you have to go to hell with explaining why something is good or bad and instead just go with the idea that the film is a really good. Its kind of like trying to explain why a certain piece of music moves you.  You may not be able to put it into words other than to say it makes your soul soar.

I Am Not A Rock Star makes my soul soar.

The film hits VOD in the U.S. on December 2, 2014 on iTunes, Amazon, Dish, Google Play other leading VOD platforms.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve, As the film's director, I really appreciate your review, as making a 'soul soar' is one of the best compliments I could imagine! In my films, I am compelled to explore universal human characteristics that transcend the subject matter, so that hopefully viewers feel connected to the people and stories in a deeper way. Again, my sincere thanks.

    ReplyDelete