Saturday, May 3, 2014

Features from the Tribeca Press Library (BRONY TALE, BACHELOR WEEKEND, I WON'T COME BACK and SUMMER OF BLOOD)

Every year I round out Tribeca with a day or two of  films from the press library. Normally they have a great number of features in the library and I catch up with 10 films or more. this year there were not so many features (most were shorts), and most of those I had already seen in theaters. These are the few features I caught up with on-line

BRONY TALE
The story of the young men who love My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic following one of the voice actresses for the show Ashliegh Ball.  

An interesting film to a point the film doesn't seem to know what to make of the seemingly  strange fans for a "girly" kid show. My attitude was "Welcome to fandom". Its weird that people seem to be making a big deal about it but it's not that weird if you've ever gotten into the trenches of fandom for anything- any of the Comicons anyone? Anime fans? Pro Wrestling? Its all the same, except you get to see big burly guys talk about animated ponies.

Amusing- but why is this 75 minutes?

BACHELOR WEEKEND
Better than I had heard story of a groom to be going off on a weekend camping trip and having everything go horribly wrong when his brides brother crashes it. If it works, and it works wonderfully, it's because of the characters. What a great bunch of people.

I can't wait to see this again when I can really enjoy it and not as part of the mad dash to the end of Tribeca.

One of the real surprises of the festival and maybe the year.

I WON'T COME BACK
Anya goes on the run. Along the way she meets  Kristina a young girl and the pair ends up on a cross country journey across Russia. A gem of a film that deserves way better then I could give it. I say this because I watched this on the final push to finish my Tribeca coverage. It was a film that I really wanted to see.  Now that I've seen it under less than optimal conditions I want to see it again.  This is one you'll want to track down.

SUMMER OF BLOOD
Horror comedy about an annoying hipster who is turned in to a vampire split critics at Tribeca. Half of them hated it with an undying passion and the other half loved it. I hated it.

1 comment:

  1. "Annoying hipster"

    I like that wording. Ha! Well, SUMMER was no horror comedy masterpiece but it was harmless fun and did contain some inspired moments though it lost steam at the end.

    I really, REALLY REALLY want to see I WON'T COME BACK. I've wanted to for some time.

    BACHELOR WEEKEND was so so for me.

    ReplyDelete