Sunday, March 23, 2014

The strange Strange Little Cat (2013) New Directors New Films 2014

In and around a family gathering in  a flat in Germany. As family members come and go a cat wanders through it all

Artfully and artificially constructed film is mannered to the nth degree the film. People stand in doorways, the mother forever standing looking out on the world, everyone going in and out of the kitchen cabinets. There are absurd moments, a bottle rocks around in pot, stories go odd, there are odd shots, dialog is arch. Its all aches to mean something or get a knowing laugh.

I'm not sure what I make of the film.  I knew early on that I wasn't going to connect with the film. The film is too perfectly constructed and intently about something (even if its about nothing) to be fully alive. It the sort of film that I can intellectually admire but I can't really warm to. Its like a performance piece that wants more to challenge its audience instead of fully engaging them emotionally.

I understand that the point of the film on some level is to reduce the world down to one flat and one group of people -for the most part we only see out side of the apartment in stories- reduce it down and there by create a commentary, but at the same time I don't know if it fully succeeds. I admire the parts. I liked the clever turns of phrase, the performances, and the occasional chuckle... unfortunately the over riding feeling I was left with "...and...?" And you're telling me this because? I haven't worked that out.

If you like your films with a bit more thought than heart give it a shot.

The film plays March 25th and 26th. For details go to the New Directors website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment