Thursday, October 18, 2012

The South Asian International Film Festival starts next week


Next week the South Asian International Film Festival (SAIFF) opens in New York. This is a festival that I’ve watch grow over the last few years from a small fest into an important one highlighting important films from the region.

I’m not going to lie and say that I wait with baited breath for the festival to come around and rush out to buy tickets, but I will gladly say that I have had tickets to several films over the years. And while I may not attend as religiously I do make notes of the films playing and I do make an effort to track them down after the fact. I have a good number of past titles in my pile.

I freely admit that I am not particularly well versed in much of South Asian cinema. While I have seen some films from the region, I am not well really familiar with the films of say India…which is why SAIFF is so important, it brings important films to light and puts them on my radar.

I’m hoping to be able to attend some of the screenings but as I write this the jury is still out as to how many films I can get to.

While I’m delaying, due to the inevitable conflicts, I don’t think you should and you should check out the schedule and get yourself some tickets.

Details can be found here at the SAIFF website.

If I manage to get to some films I will definitely report in.

No comments:

Post a Comment